Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church was originally one of three missions on the north Alaska Highway (the other two are in Burwash Landing and Haines Junction). Lady of Grace was built in 1961 from a salvaged Quonset hut left over from the highway constructions days. A note taped to the door directed visitors across the highway to the RV park to get a key if they wanted to go inside the quaint little church. Rhonda and I were in deep discussion about this little church, the family of swans, the condition of the road for the next several miles when I decided to see if I had any "signal" for my cell phone as I was taking a drink of water. Where was the cell phone. PANIC!!!!! Did I drop it to the ground in my haste to exit Stewart to get a picture of the church? Rhonda looked over at me in her all-assuming manner and stated firmly to me as she maneuvered Stewart to the questionable shoulder of the road, "Debi, I want you to dump everything out of your purse to look for your phone BEFORE I turn around and retrace the last 30 minutes of this drive." If any of you have spent more than 24 hours with Rhonda, you know by the tone of her voice when she means business. I obediently dumped out my purse while clutching water bottle, sunglasses and jacket. Ah-ha! Score! There it was, in my purse....just not in its regular spot! I was expressing relief and gratitude for her patience when she blasted me with "Get in the car! Here come those RVs!" I gathered everything as quickly as I could as she rammed Stewart into drive and hit the gas. I put the contents back in my purse, set it on the floor and tossed my jacket in the back. I picked up purse only to discover water dripping from the bottom. Oh sh** where is the water bottle? Naturally, as my luck would have it, the water bottle was on the floor......empty as my feet sat in a puddle of water.......

1 comment:

  1. Rhonda should have talked to either Judi or I before setting out with you on a road trip. We could have "enlightened" her.

    ReplyDelete