Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Quinault Rain Forest & Grays Harbor Lighthouse






With very full bellies, we continued on to the rain forest. I was as fascinated with this Olympic Peninsula rain forest as I was with the one in Oregon. What captivated my interest this go-around was the pink, bell-shaped flowers I found sporadically along the route. The size of the bloom was somewhere between that of a pea and an acorn. I googled plants of the Olympic Rain Forest, but could not identify it. The trees were cloaked not only in moss, but moss that sprouted a variety of plant life....mainly ferns. Beautiful in a Jurassic sort of way.

We ended our day with a quick visit to the Grays Harbor Lighthouse. On June 30, 1898, people gathered from the towns of Hoquiam, Westport and Aberdeen for the dedication and lighting ceremony of the Lighthouse. The Westport area had become a major logging port in the late nineteenth century. By the time the lighthouse was built, at least 50 ships had foundered near the entrance to Grays Harbor. A lighthouse was commissioned for the area in 1897, and Point Chehalis, on the south end of the bay was selected for the site

The lighthouse looked a little forlorn to me. Perhaps because its role has diminished over the years.....




2 comments:

  1. The pictures are awesome! Would love to have a trip like that if the scenery is a beautiful as you are making it out to be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those flowers look like the blossom of a berry-maybe salmon berry? I will look it up in my berry book.

    ReplyDelete