Friday, April 30, 2010

Tillamook, Oregon







We left Newport this morning and arrived in Tillamook....just in time for lunch. We ate at the Blue Heron Cheese and Wine Deli. I had the clam chowder and it was one of the best I have tasted. From there we toured the Tillamook Cheese factory which was very interesting. We could not leave there without having a dessert. For me it was a single scoop Caramel Pecan Praline ice cream in a waffle cone. Being on a lighthouse crusade, I implored John to take me to the Cape Meares Lighthouse. Gretchen and I took the 1/4 mile path to the lighthouse only to discover it had been vandalised. The "panes" of the lighthouse had been hit by bullets of vandals in January and the damage had been covered by metal plates. Even though it was damaged, the lighthouse still had grace. It was built in 1889, began operation January 1, 1890 and celebrates 120 years in 2010. The tower stands 38 feet high and is the shortest lightouse in Oregon. It is constructed of bricks (made right on site at a cost of $2,900) with iron plates covering it. The original addition that now houses the interpretive shop was a work room built in 1895.

From there, we were off to Oceanside where we heard we could observe Parasailers in action. Oceanside was an intriguing little cliff-dwelling town. I loved its charm and would love to spend a few weeks there. Watching the parasailers riding the wind currents was fascinating especially when it appeared as though the birds were soaring with them.

We then headed to the Munson Creek Road in search of the 380 foot Munson Creek Falls. Wow, this 1/4 mile hike was beautiful. We kind of felt like we got a taste of what the Olympic Peninsula holds in store for us. Every where I looked, I snapped pictures. Don't worry. I will only post a few here.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos and descriptions. Although I wish I was traveling with you (cuz I miss you), my life is filled with other activities.

    ReplyDelete